Friday, February 8, 2008

What we can learn from our kids

I still find it amazing what I've learned from from my five year old son Joshua. This past weekend my wife had brought my son to one of those McDonald's restaurants with an indoor playground. At the same time apparently someone else was having a birthday party. You can imagine the noise level was pretty high. When I talked to my wife on the phone I asked her if there was something she needed, she just said "ear plugs".
Anyway my son not really knowing any better seemed to integrate himself in and out of the party. So well he even scored some cake and ice cream too. Afterwards when it was time to do presents he was still right there handing the birthday child his presents and even helping the boy open them. We neither knew the parents nor even what the birthday's boys name was.I kind of went over just to kind of make sure he didn't overstep his boundaries. The boy's mother didn't seem to mind and neither did anyone else for that matter. What really touched me about all this was that the birthday child (and some of the party goers) were children with Down's Syndrome. I really admire his boldness and willingness to help others. I hope he never loses those qualities. I know sometimes as adults we shy away from those that are a little different from the rest of us. Perhaps out of fear or misunderstanding. I couldn't help but be a bit proud of my son that day.

No comments: